Logistics is an important component in any business and while not all companies can afford to have their own department that is dedicated to such, it is still one of the most crucial considerations to ensure that consumers can obtain products.
The logistics industry in South Africa is massive and it contributes to the overall economy and helps to ensure that customer demand can be fulfilled.
Effective transport and logistics can contribute towards overall cost reduction and improvement of efficiency. The process that is involved with evaluating different transport and logistics companies in South Africa can be tedious, but it is necessary.
By considering crucial points for evaluation, you can choose the best transport company that will help your business grow, expand, and ensure that you have satisfied customers.
Steps to Hiring a Transport and Logistics Company
Identify potential candidates
South Africa is host to several reputable transport and logistic companies that offer excellent services. First, you need to understand the unique needs of your business to create a checklist against which you can evaluate and compare candidates.
Once you understand the unique needs of your business you can start researching the potential candidates available in South Africa.
Evaluate the company
When you choose the right transport and logistics company, you can ensure future growth and expansion. However, before you use the services of transport and logistics companies in South Africa, consider the following components for evaluation to find the right one:
- Experience working in the industry – on-time delivery and safety is critical and transport and logistics companies must have the necessary experience to fulfil this. Ensure that the company has the necessary business license, supply chain management, and the right inventory management software.
- Business requirements – choose a company that recognises your business’ unique needs to ensure that your products are delivered safely and that the company complies with all legal requirements.
- Culture and communication – choose a company that has a strong foundation, excellent customer service levels, treats their employees well and ensures excellent communication skills are used across all departments.
- Experience in the specific industry so that queries can be handled seamlessly.
- Pricing is a vital factor, and it entails obtaining quotes from different companies.
- Customer service must be prompt and helpful to ensure that queries are resolved quickly.
- The transport and logistics company must be equipped with the latest technology to ensure that goods and products are safely transported.
Contact the company to obtain further information
While everything seems nice on paper, you need to contact the company and set up an interview to go through the components for evaluation. It may also involve a physical visit to the transport and logistics company’s premises to see whether what they claim is true.
Interview different key personnel and ask for a list of existing customers to gain further insight into the reputation and operations of the transport and logistics company.
Get a quote
Compare different viable candidates by obtaining a quote from all of them, this makes it easier to decide which transport and logistic company better suits your business’ needs and budget.
Test the customisability of orders and customer support levels as well during this step to ensure that you partner with the right company.
Hire the company
Once you have narrowed down the search to only a few candidates, the last step is to decide on which transport and logistics company is right for your business and continue with the process of hiring their services.