From the classic tales of Shaka Zulu, to the pop tunes of South African-born Rihanna, South African entertainment has global appeal and is on the rise. Join us on a journey to explore how one part of the world is producing such an impact that it resonates around the world.
1. Setting the Scene – South African Entertainment Goes Global
From Miss South Africa, to Springbok rugby, to Die Antwoord, South African entertainment is ready to go global in 2020. Our country has a long-standing history of creating art that captivates the entire continent, from our vibrant culture and language, to captivating music and narratives. This year, we are ready to take our entertainment to the rest of the world.
From books on Amazon’s best-sellers list written by South African authors, to telenovelas dominating television sets globally, South African entertainment is having a moment. So, what does it take for South African entertainment to go global? Here are a few tips:
- Plan – Long-term success depends on planning a strategy that you can execute on. Research your chosen market to ensure your content is well-received by your target audience.
- Promote – Leverage the power of the internet to promote your projects and content. Utilize social media platforms to reach wider audiences and create conversations with people.
- Collaborate – Collaboration is one of the most powerful tools in the entertainment industry. By networking and forming partnerships with other content creators, you can reach larger audiences in a fraction of the time.
- Market – Once you create something, make sure you market it properly to ensure the right people get to see your content. Look into tradeshows, digital marketing, and online platforms to boost your reach.
2. Exploring the Factors Behind the Rise of South African Entertainment
South Africa’s entertainment industry has gone from strength to strength over the last decade, with a host of local actors, musicians and multimedia creators gaining respect and fame both domestically and internationally. So, what has been behind this surge in popularity?
One of the main catalysts driving the success of South African entertainment has been the internet, which has allowed for an unprecedented level of collaboration and breakout recognition for lesser-known talent. Thanks to social media and streaming services, aspiring actors and artists can quickly gain access to international audiences and find success without having to rely on industry gatekeeper approval. The boom in the entertainment industry has seen the release of hit movies like Invictus and District 9, iconic musicians like Die Antwoord, and the rise of comedy talent like Trevor Noah.
Additionally, new investment opportunities have made it possible for creatives to break out of the limitations of traditional forms of content production, and pursue higher-quality projects. This newfound source of funds has allowed for more polished, high-caliber films, music, and comedy to come out of South Africa and reach its people. Thanks to these advances, South Africa now provides world-class entertainment for its citizens and beyond.
- Internet access has allowed for an increase in collaboration and breakout successes
- Social media and streaming services have been a new source of recognition
- New funding opportunities allow for higher-quality production
- South Africa now provides world-class entertainment for its citizens and beyond
3. Bringing South African Entertainment to the Global Stage
Making space for South African entertainment in the global spotlight
South African entertainment is having a moment. Television shows, movies, and music from South Africa are increasingly finding an international audience. From the recent success of modern shows such as Die Ontwaking and Igazi to the streaming phenomenon of classic films like Medea and Sarafina!, South African entertainment has begun to transcend international borders and accessibility.
Advocates and fans of South African entertainers are actively promoting their work around the globe and connecting them with foreign audiences. This is creating unique opportunities for South African creatives to reach an audience often times much larger than their local fanbase. Platforms, such as South African Entertainment Network (SAEN) are proving invaluable in pushing South African talent to the forefront of the global stage. SAEN provides opportunities for South African artists to connect with global networks, releasing them from the constraints of the domestic spotlight and allowing them to share their work far beyond their country’s borders.
- Creation of a platform such as SAEN has empowered South African creatives on the global stage
- Foreign audiences are being connected to South African entertainment, transcending international borders
- Modern shows, classic movies, and music alike have found worldwide recognition
4. Supporting the Continuing Expansion of South African Entertainment
South Africa’s Entertainment Scene is Growing
South Africa is experiencing a time of incredible growth in terms of entertainment. The introduction of new radio, television, streaming and digital services is giving entertainment fans more options than ever before. There are exciting new shows appearing on the small screen and a variety of forms of entertainment coming through the online platforms. This expansion has been made even more possible by the support of the government and the central bank.
Development and Investment are Key
The expansion of the entertainment industry in South Africa requires the right development and investment to reach its full potential. By creating an environment of financial security and forward planning, investors and entrepreneurs can look to the future with confidence. It is also important to ensure that the regulatory rules are in place to ensure the highest standards are met. It is also key that members of the industry understand their role in the development of South Africa’s entertainment scene and their part in helping it to reach new heights.
From the generation of the newest talent to providing the funding and resources needed to bring these stories to life, the entertainment industry is an incredibly important asset to South Africa. By embracing the changes that come with the positive development of the industry, South Africa can move forward as one of the world’s premier entertainment hubs. As South African entertainment continues to evolve and thrive, it remains a testament to the power of creativity and ambition. South African artists and entertainers have risen to international acclaim, serving as an inspiration for future generations of creatives. The future of South African entertainment looks bright, and the world is eager to see what comes next.